What is the SURE! Program?
The overarching goal of our research is to find solutions within the water energy nexus to provide sustainable solutions to renewable energy, wastewater recycling and resource recovery. More specifically, the team has worked on algae based wastewater treatment, algae biofuels, conversion of wastewater solids to energy, potable re-use and dairy wastewater treatment. The work focuses on innovative solutions that will lead to technology adoption within the broader context of the water resource recovery and energy sectors.
Water Environment Federation Award!
This year, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and the city of San Luis Obispo collaborated together on this project and are receiving the WEF award for their long running program on water treatment education and research. The award will be presented on October 19, 2021 at the WEFTEC conference in Chicago!
- Help expand wastewater recycling workforce and develop new sustainability technologies.
SURE!/City of SLO Webinar
Graduate Student Hayley talks about how if it weren't for this research program, she would not have gone onto doing her masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Watch the video below to get more information on her journey!
- Process development
- Physico-chemical (ozone, AOP with carbon nanotubes)
- Biological (removal of nutrients, metalloids, toxic substances, anaerobic and fermentation processes)
- Pilot plant studies and equipment performance comparisons
- Affordable pre-certification monitoring
- Life cycle assessments – example: recycled vs. traditional water
- Techno-economic analyses of innovative facilities
- Hands-on preparation of engineers and operators
- Typically 3-6 simultaneous, multi-year projects
- $5 million in 5 years from USDOE, CEC, USDA, USEPA, WERF, water districts and companies.
For questions or more information about the SURE! Program, contact Tryg Lundquist (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Follow our instagram: @calpolysure_westt
- SLOlidify our water future - Interactive Virtual Q&A Panel | May 26, 11 AM - 12 PM, Event Flyer