Accessing Computer Labs
Accessing Lab Programs and Software Virtually
You can access resources in different ways:
CE/ENVE Virtual Desktops
- Check the College of Engineering's IT support page for instructions and access to CE/ENVE Virtual Labs.
Campus ITS Virtual Computer Labs
ITS hosts software for remote access that includes software titles not supported by the CE/ENVE department.
Software and Programs
Students can purchase Adobe products on personal devices for a discounted price.
- Visit Cal Poly's On The Hub
- Log in using your Cal Poly credentials using the link in the upper right-hand corner
- Choose the Windows version of your choice
- Follow instructions as prompted
- Check the College of Engineering's IT support page for more help.
What kind of computer should I buy?
We would recommend a laptop for portability as most students use laptops and the campus has extensive wireless network coverage. We do not have any specific recommendations on students' computers; however, most all typical and specialty engineering software are PC based. With respect to brand and specifications, it depends on students' personal preferences as to what machine to buy.
We have computer labs with the specialized engineering software, but our software licenses generally not allow us to give it out to students. Students will typically use the computer labs for any specialized engineering software. Any class that requires the use of specialized software will have lab time scheduled in one of our computer labs either in person or remotely.