California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Civil and Environmental Engineering
A picture of a bridge

Graduate Degrees in Engineering

Graduate Degree Programs

The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers a Master of Science (M.S.) degree program as well as a blended B.S. + M.S. program. Links to these programs are provided below. In addition, the Department offers M.S. degree programs with specializations in Transportation Planning and Water Engineering. These specialized degree programs are offered in cooperation with the College of Architecture and Environmental Design and the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences, respectively.

Questions regarding the Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program should be directed to the Department's Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Robb Moss.

Requirements for the Masters of Science Degrees are found in the Cal Poly Catalog.

Degree Options

M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Blended M.S. + B.S. Program
M.S. with a Specialization in Transportation Planning
M.S. with a Specialization in Water Engineering

M.S. Geotechnical Specialization
M.S. Structural Specialization
M.S. Transportation Specialization
M.S. Water Resources Specialization

Viewing the file requires Adobe Reader, which you can download at Adobe's website:

Applying to the Graduate Program

A complete application to the MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering requires:

Application deadlines are posted (  The statement of purpose in the online application is where students state which topic they want to focus on (Environmental, Geotechnical, Structures, Transportation, Water) and can highlight information about themselves that is not quantified in their GPA and GRE scores.

For Cal Poly students interested in applying to the Blended program (BS+MS) the application requires:

  • A letter submitted to the graduate coordinator stating: name, student I.D. number, contact email, topic of focus, thesis advisor, and thesis topic that the advisor and student have agree upon.
  • Submission of 3 letters of recommendation via interfolio (

Applications are due the end of the second week prior to the quarter the student would like to be in the program.  Students are eligible once they have completed all 300-level courses.   Students must be in the program prior to graduating with their BS.

For MCRP students interested in applying to the dual MCRP/MSE program they should discuss this option with the grad coordinator in MCRP after they are admitted.  Information on this degree can be found at (

For students interested in applying to the MS with a specialization in Water Engineering, they should contact the grad coordinator in BRAE (

A FAQ covering additional information can be found at (  All further questions should be directed to the grad coordinator (