The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers a Master of Science (M.S.) degree program as well as a blended B.S. + M.S. program. Links to these programs are provided below.
In addition, the Department offers M.S. degree programs with specializations in Transportation Planning and Water Engineering. These specialized degree programs are offered in cooperation with the College of Architecture and Environmental Design and the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences, respectively.
Questions regarding the Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Program should be directed to the Department's Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Bing Qu.
Requirements for the Masters of Science Degrees are found in the Cal Poly Catalog.
- M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Blended M.S. + B.S. Program
- M.S. with a Specialization in Transportation Planning
- M.S. with a Specialization in Water Engineering
List of Graduate Courses by Specialization
- Geotechnical Specialization (pdf)
- Structural Specialization (pdf)
- Transportation Specialization (pdf)
- Water Resources Specialization (pdf)
Applying to the Graduate Program
A complete application to the MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering requires:
- An online application through CSU mentor (http://admissions.calpoly.edu/applicants/graduate/) followed by submission of official transcripts and GRE scores to Admissions.
- Submission via interfolio of unofficial transcripts, GRE scores, statement of purpose, and contact information for 3 people who will be submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf. Link to interfolio can be found here: http://grad.calpoly.edu/programs/masters_programs.html
Application deadlines are posted (http://admissions.calpoly.edu/applicants/graduate/deadlines.html). The statement of purpose is where students declare which topic they want to focus on (Environmental, Geotechnical, Structures, Transportation, Water) and can highlight information about themselves that is not quantified in their GPA and GRE scores.
Applying to our blended B.S. + M.S. Program
The Blended program is for current Cal Poly undergraduates in the Civil and Environmental Program. This application requires students to develop a research plan with a faculty advisor prior to applying . Once a research plan is developed the application process is:
- Submission via Interfolio (http://apply.interfolio.com/28533) of unofficial transcripts, contact information for 3 people who will be submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf, and a statement of purpose that lists the faculty advisor and the research plan you have developed with that faculty advisor.
- Applications are due the end of the second week prior to the quarter the student would like to be in the program. Students are eligible once they have completed all 300-level courses. Students must be in the program no later than the quarter prior to when they would be graduating with their BS.
Applying to our other Graduate Programs
For MCRP students interested in applying to the dual MCRP/MSE program they should discuss this option with the grad coordinator in MCRP after they are admitted. Information on this degree can be found at (http://planning.calpoly.edu/content/programs/transportation).
For students interested in applying to the MS with a specialization in Water Engineering, they should contact the grad coordinator in BRAE (http://www.brae.calpoly.edu/department/eng_water).