MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering
Cal Poly's Civil and Environmental Engineering Department offers unique flexibility so you can tailor your master’s curriculum to your goals. We have two options for pursuing an MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering: the thesis option and the coursework option. The thesis option includes a researched-based experience under the guidance of a faculty advisor. The coursework-based option includes a culminating project and comprehensive exam in lieu of a thesis. Curriculum for either option is developed in conjunction with a faculty advisor.
Details of the program can be found in the Cal Poly Catalog.
For admission as a graduate student, an applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering or a closely related physical science with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter units (60 semester units).
An applicant who meets these standards but lacks prerequisite coursework may be admitted as a conditionally classified student and must make-up any deficiencies before advancement to graduate standing.
Information pertaining to specific requirements for admission to graduate standing (classified or conditionally classified) may be obtained from the Interim Graduate Program Coordinator, Bing Qu (email@example.com).
How to Apply
- Go to Cal State Apply for the online application.
- You will need to provide your official transcript, a statement of purpose describing your motivation for pursuing a graduate degree and preferred area of study, and contact information for three references.
- The GRE is not required, but scores may be submitted if you feel they will strengthen your application.
- Once your application has been submitted you will receive an email confirmation from Cal Poly confirming that your application has been received.
- Your application is later loaded into the student database and you will be emailed instructions on accessing Cal Poly’s university portal: MyCalPoly. Applicants should access MyCalPoly to view further application requirements and admission status.
- For questions regarding Cal State Apply or MyCalPoly, you may contact the Admissions Office.
- If you need help through the application process, we've created a Graduate Applicant Tips Guide to help you.
- Application deadline can be found here.
Questions should be directed to the Interim Graduate Program Coordinator, Bing Qu (firstname.lastname@example.org).