- B.S. in Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1969.
- M.S. in Environmental Engineering, Texas A & M University, College Station, 1974.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1981.
- Professional Engineer (PE) in Civil Engineering, No. 35624, California.
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer, American Academy of Environmental Engineers (Solid Waste Management Specialization)
- LEED Accredited Professional, U.S. Green Building Council
Dr. Vigil teaches courses in Environmental Engineering Design, Water and Wastewater Treatment, Solid Waste Management, and Sustainable Environmental Engineering. His research interests include sustainability engineering, energy and resource recovery from wastes, and remote sensing of greenhouse gases. Many of his research papers can be downloaded at: http://works.bepress.com/svigil/. Before joining Cal Poly, Dr. Vigil was a project manager with a major engineering consulting firm. He also served as an active duty and reserve Navy Civil Engineer Corps Officer.
- Iraj Zandi Award, Journal of Solid Waste Management and Technology, Philadelphia, PA
- Keynote Speaker, First International Symposium on Advanced Waste and Emission Management, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, December 2000.
- Best Architectural Research Project in 1998, "Energy Efficient Resource Recovery Project for Cal Poly State University", Architecture Magazine, April 1998
- Navy Commendation Medal, For meritorious service while serving as Environmental Program Manager of the Reserve Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command. Awarded December 1993.
- Air and Waste Management Association
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- American Geophysical Union
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- U.S. Green Building Council