Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow
Simin Akbariyeh is a postdoctoral teaching fellow in Civil and Environmental Engineering department. Before joining Cal Poly, she was a postdoctoral research fellow at Northern Arizona University (2017-2018). Her research area includes water flow and contaminants fate and transport in variably saturated porous media and climate change impacts on water cycle and soil hydrological processes.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Water Resources), 2017, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln-NE
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering (Water Resources), 2011, University of Tabriz, Tabriz-Iran
- B.Sc., Agricultural Engineering-Hydrology, 2009, University of Tabriz, Tabriz-Iran
- Contaminants fate and transport in variably saturated porous media.
- Climate change impacts on soil hydrological processes and groundwater quantity/quality.
- Vadose zone and groundwater flow modeling.
- Inverse vadose zone modeling (groundwater recharge estimation).
- Multi-physics modeling of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) vapor intrusion into the overlying building.
- Water resources sustainability, system dynamic modeling for complex urban water resources.
- Honorable mention of the outstanding dissertation award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln-NE, 2018
- Recognized in leadership in student activities and promoting diversity in Nebraska, Lincoln-NE, 2016
- Best student paper presentation award, NWEA fall conference, Kearney-NE, 2015
- NWEA scholarship, AWWA/NWEA conference, Kearney-NE, 2014
- Recognized research proposal award, University of Tabriz, Tabriz-Iran, 2011
- Akbariyeh, S., S. Bartlet-Hunt, D. Snow, X. Li, Z. Tang, and Y. Li, (2018). Three-Dimensional Modeling of Nitrate-N Transport in Vadose Zone: Roles of Soil Heterogeneity and Ground Water Flux. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 211: 15-25.
- Akbariyeh, S., B. Patterson, M. Kumar, and Y. Li, (2016). Quantification of Vapor Intrusion Pathways: An Integration of Modeling and Site Characterization. Vadose Zone Journal 15 (10).
- May, R., S. Akbariyeh, and Y. Li, (2012). Pore-Scale Investigation of Nanoparticle Transport in Saturated Porous Media Using Laser Scanning Cytometry. Environ. Sci. Techno., 46 (18): 9980-9986.
- Zarghami, M., and S. Akbariyeh, (2012). System Dynamics Modeling for Complex Urban Water Systems: Application to the City of Tabriz, Iran. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 60: 99-106.
- Zharghami, M., S. Akbariyeh, A. Bagheri, and S. Behjat, (2011) Modeling Urban Water Management Using System Dynamics; Case Study of Tabriz City, Iran, Eleventh International Conference on Computing and Control the Water Industry , CCWI 2011, Center for water systems, University of Exeter, UK, ISBN 0-9539140-8-9.