- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 1981
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 1981
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- Professional Engineer (PE) in Mechanical Engineering M025029, California, 1987-present
- Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) by International Association of Arson Investigators #22-080802, 2008-present
Selected Publications and Patents
- Thermal Systems Design: A Most Practical Guidebook – 1st Edition; (2018); Richard J. Martin; Martin Thermal Engineering; Inc.; ISBN #978-1-5323-7184-4.
- “Sources of Perchlorate Releases to the Environment”; In Perchlorate: A Scientific, Legal, and Economic Assessment; Eds: E.M. Hagstrom and Brian S. Aikin; Lawyers & Judges Publishing Company; 2006 (with Peter M. Mesard); ISBN #978-1-9300-5684-8.
- “Flameless Thermal Oxidation,” In Standard Handbook of Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal, 2nd Edition; Section 8.7, H.M. Freeman (ed.), McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1997 (with S.G. DeCicco); ISBN #978-0-0702-2044-7.
- “Prediction of Particulate Loading in Exhaust from Fabric Filter Baghouses with One or More Failed Bags”; J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc.; Vol. 56; pp. 1177-1183, August 2006 (with W. Qin and M. Dekermenjian)
- “De Novo VOC from Regenerative Thermal Oxidizers,” Proceedings ASME-HT2003, Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Las Vegas, NV; July 22, 2003 (with J.D. Colwell).
- “Pilot-scale Characterization of Dry Sorbent Injection for SO2 Control in a Low-NOx Tangential System,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Power; Vol. 110; p. 111, 1988 (with J.T. Kelly, S. Ohmine, and E.K. Chu).
- “Gradual Oxidation with Adiabatic Temperature above Flameout Temperature”, United States Patent 9,381,484; issued July 5, 2016 (with J. Armstrong and D. Hamrin).
- “Method and Apparatus for Controlled Reaction in a Reaction Matrix,” United States Patent 5,165,884; issued November 24, 1992 (with J. Stilger and M. Holst).