Our Mission and Objectives
The Civil Engineering (CE) and Environmental Engineering (ENVE) undergraduate degree programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). As part of its continuous improvement process, each program regularly assesses student learning with respect to specific outcomes and performance metrics. These outcomes and performance metrics have been developed for each program based on an established mission and a set of educational objectives.
The Civil Engineering Program
The mission of the Civil Engineering Program is to prepare its students for successful careers in civil engineering by providing a high quality, practice-oriented education that emphasizes design project experiences, "hands-on" laboratory activities, and teamwork.
The Civil Engineering Program's faculty, in consultation with engineering practitioners and alumni, have developed five educational objectives to support the program mission. The educational objectives represent the goals that we have for our graduates after they leave Cal Poly. The educational objectives of the Civil Engineering Program are as follows:
- To prepare students to successfully perform essential engineering functions in Civil Engineering practice;
- To prepare students to communicate effectively with industry professionals and community members;
- To prepare students to work in an ethical and professional manner to positively impact the environment and society;
- To encourage students to pursue life-long learning through continuing education opportunities, graduate degrees and/or other certification; and
- To encourage students to progress toward professional licensure.
The Environmental Engineering Program
The mission of the Environmental Engineering Program is to provide its students with the highest quality technical and professional education in environmental engineering, with particular emphasis in the areas of air pollution control, water and wastewater quality, solid and hazardous waste management, and noise control.
The Environmental Engineering Program's faculty, in consultation with engineering practitioners and alumni, have developed three educational objectives to support the program mission. The educational objectives represent the goals that we have for our graduates after they leave Cal Poly. The educational objectives of the Environmental Engineering Program are as follows:
- Practice as professional engineers by gaining a thorough foundation in the following areas: water and wastewater; air pollution; and solid and hazardous wastes;
- Pursue higher studies, research and life-long learning, and develop an appreciation of liberal arts and social sciences; and
- Have global awareness of environmental issues and use appropriate technologies to solve them.